Safety Spec/ Eng III - Incident Investigator Lead
Port Arthur, TX 77641 US
This position will qualify for per diems. Meals will be $30/day and Lodging will be $72/day.
Develops and implements the safety management program in regard to incident notification, reporting, trending and communication on an assigned project. Works directly with other project-level functional leads (e.G., engineering, construction, subcontracts, procurement, project controls, document controls) to assist them in facilitating, investigating, and analyzing incidents.
• Performs incident investigations using cross-functional teams to interview witnesses, review procedures/regulations, gather timelines, and observe the scene. Then, determine causal factors and recommend corrective/preventative actions.
• Compiling and preparing incident investigation reports and action plans
• Tracking to closeout of corrective actions
• Coordination of the formation of an investigation team
• Providing technical assistance and training in incident investigation to line management and subcontractors
• Conducting 5 Why, Why Tree, (preferable); Tap-Root or ICAM (optional) root-cause analysis
• Coaching others, through participation in investigations, on the best practices and approach/methods taken to evaluate/categorize and appropriately report incidents
• Performing quality reviews and evaluating incident reports for quality, consistency, and completeness
• Interfacing with Project Supervisors to finalize reports in accordance with the project ES&H procedures and to correct unsafe acts and hazards that have been determined to be causes related to events
• Providing assistance to project and Subcontractor construction management in implementing and complying with project ES&H requirements and in addressing safety/health issues as they arise during project execution.
• Drafts incident notifications, reports, bulletins and/or lesson learned. Assists in development of technical and regulatory reports.
• Conducts ES&H assessments/inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with incident protocol requirements including contractual commitments, laws and regulations, and the project’ s ES&H plan.
• Prepares confidential and sensitive reports that may include injury data resulting from lost-time accidents and/or fatalities.
• Maintains the ES&H statistical data for a given area of responsibility which includes entering, sorting, and manipulating data in BESH IRIS.
• Flexible in performing other duties or shift within ES&H (e.G.; training, emergency response activities, night shift coverage etc.) as directed by the Project ES&H Manager or designee.
Qualifications & skills
• Bachelor’ s Degree in ES&H/Management or related science/engineering area; candidate must have a minimum of 6 years of equivalent experience/training.
• Y-TREE, ICAM or TapRoot Training
• Working knowledge of best professional ES&H practices in conducting accident investigations, compliance audits and project health surveys.
• Proficiency in assisting construction with development of risk assessments and associated job hazard analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a project team.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to explain, explore and discuss safety issues with range of stakeholders.
• Skilled in working collaboratively with others in a complex integrated environment.
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft 365 (Office).
• Knowledge of safety procedures, engineering and construction systems, principles, and methodologies.
• Knowledge of national safety laws/regulations and regulatory agencies’ processes and responsibilities, industry standards/practices for safety and health compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential safety risks during project execution.
• Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
• Knowledge of BESH standard computer applications (e.G., IRIS, Velocity EHS, Power BI).
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule if required, including, but not limited to nightshift or split shift.
This position has a work scope that includes field inspections and the physical ability to conduct field inspections which require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, working on elevated platforms, working on uneven surfaces and working in small or confined spaces. Some lifting may be required. Must have the ability to walk into and out of the project (enter/egress). Must be able to use appropriate standard issued Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) required for each assigned task (i.E. Harness, life vest, lift buckets, etc.)