Rochester, NY 14649
Functions as a technical specialist and/or supervisory role. Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity, or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise.
This Senior Network Architect will be responsible for network architecture planning, development, design and implementation for Smart Grid utility clients. Analyzes client’ s business needs to develop telecommunications strategy and technology solutions. May offer technical advisory and consulting services to the client. Provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to business development and pursuit activities, including creating proposal, scope, level of effort estimation and implementation plans. Leads and participates in project execution and technical delivery.
Key duties include:
• Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future communication needs
• Creating master communication plans to meet those client needs and receive buy-in from the client
• Collaborate with and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers
• Assesses industry standards for models, and where appropriate, incorporates them into our architecture standards
• Participates as technical lead on major projects and application roll-outs
• Responsible for developing and adhering to all engineering/quality processes and procedures and all documentation/tools
• Work hand-in-hand with project management on technical issues
• Develops and manages scope, schedule and budget requirements
• Leads production teams and may coordinating multiple discipline activity
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
• Strong on documentation and processes
• Validates work of lower level network engineers
• Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies
• Create or expand utility communication systems
• Understands, advocates, and supports IT strategies
• Mentors others on the network services team
• Is externally recognized in industry as an expert that enhances the Company brand
Minimum Qualifications (Do Not Edit)
Typically a minimum of 12 plus years related work experience.
Typically, a minimum of 10 years network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Logical Thinking and Problem-Solving
• Oral and Written Communications
• Influence and Consensus Building
• Consulting Mindset
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of data network engineering design principles, guides and standards.
• Advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures
• Advanced ability to scope engineering deliverable content
• Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
• Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Intermediate business & financial acumen