Manufacturing Engineer / Estimator
Billerica, MA 01821 US
The primary purpose of this job is to be responsible for working collaboratively with Business Development, customers, and engineering to develop price quotations for components based on request for quote (RFQ) data submitted by customers. The individual will create cost estimates by coordinating labor, material, outside processing, production lead-time and NRE/NRT estimates based on a variety of inputs.
The secondary purpose of this job is to provide support to operations with process improvements on shop floor, tool design, cycle time improvements. Develop programs using in-house cam software for shop floor.
- Calculate production costs using established labor rates, material and processing price estimates
- Lead cost estimating activity for working with customers in the Aerospace, Defense and Oil & Gas markets
- Coordinate with supply chain team on raw material supply and outside services within integrated supply chain and outside vendors
- Control of production jobs to include financial closure, variance analysis and liaison with manufacturing to report and improve processes
- Develop g code for CNC lathes and milling machines using in house cam software
- Spearhead improvements to new and existing operations to reduce cost and improve quality
- Authority to perform all tasks/activities responsible for
- 5+ years of precision machining or engineering related experience of medium to highly complex components, including setup and operation of a diverse range of machine tools
- CNC Lathe experience desired
- Estimating experience within aerospace, defense, and/or Oil & Gas markets preferred
- G code programming using cam software.
Certification and Licensing Requirements:
- 4 year Engineering or Technical degree preferred (but not required) or (Equivalent combinations of education, licenses, certifications and/or experience may be considered)
- Solid understanding of the types of tooling required for specific applications and generalized machine shop procedures
- Must have the machine knowledge to quote run time for variety of machining centers
- General working knowledge of high temperature and exotic alloys, process specifications, and diverse machining methods
- Complete understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing tools (quick change-over, SMED, cellular manufacturing, etc.) relevant to the estimating function is desired
- General working knowledge of ERP system
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis on Excel