Job Number: 31958
All Levels Experience 500KV-13.8kv substations, varying voltage class. Power Systems exp preferred. High Voltage substation design experience (physical and P+C -"protection and controls") Equipment sizing, calculations, wiring diagrams for protective relaying panels.
Must hit the ground running -no time to train. Will be doing project work for utilities and EPC projects for multiple clients
Will take levels 3, 4 and 5. The minimum (level 3) is 3 years experience.
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead substation design role encompassing distribution, sub transmission and transmission level voltage classes. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. Will provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on substation design projects. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. Will lead other engineers and interface directly with clients. Responsible for the overall execution and quality of substation projects as a leader within a team environment. Utilize Bluebeam to QA check and design high voltage substation drawings (such as schematic, wiring, one line, three line, plan view, section cut, conduit, grounding and material drawings).
- Develop and maintain budgets and schedules for multiple substation design projects
- Perform high voltage substation (34.5kV-500kV) design, including physical design, protective relaying/control with an emphasis on continuous improvement
- Provides guidance and direction on department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and company policies
- Assists in developing, maintaining and updating engineering standards
- Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines
- Independently applies knowledge and complies with company quality program relative to assigned tasks
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with company quality program while performing internal Quality Assurance technical reviews
- Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection
- Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work
- Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles
- Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements
- Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis problems and methods
- Is responsible for one or more of the following: leading larger production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for a project
- Actively participate in management, project scheduling, and work/resource planning meetings
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on moderately complex projects and may determine the key clients in some instances
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on moderately complex projects
- May offer other services to the clients
- Serves as a technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in a particular practice area
- Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required
- Implements resource management strategy
- Manages engineering resources for small groups of a single discipline
- Administrative responsibilities may include office administration
- Ensures policies, procedures, and processes are effectively implemented and communicated for workgroup
- Power/Power Systems experience preferred
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control of high voltage substation design projects
- High Voltage Substation design experience (physical & P&C)
- Technical experience preferred
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
- Prepare one-lines, connection diagrams, panel elevations and protection & control schematics for power substation equipment.
- Prepare auxiliary power equipment sizing calculations. • Design wiring diagrams for protective relaying panels.
- Perform complex engineering calculations/studies related to substation projects such as: lightning protection, conduit fill, AC/DC station service loading, surge arrester sizing and voltage drop.
- Create RTU control, status and analog point lists, raceway/cable schedules along with maintenance/signage and nameplates
- Prepare equipment arrangement, grounding, foundation and conduit plans for high voltage substations.
- Review shop drawings, vendor quotes and perform bid evaluations.
- Develop construction release documents.
- Experience 500KV - 13.8KV substations, varying voltage classes
- Experience with open air and/or GIS
- Experience with designing different types of bus configurations
- Raceway drawings, grounding drawings, plan and section drawings
- Manages budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Actively coordinate with others on the team Delegate and supervise the work of younger engineers Communicate with upper management and provide status updates on engineering design activities.
- Other experience preferred
- Written Communications
- Drive For Results
- Priority Setting
- Directing Others
- Conflict Management
- Dealing with Ambiguity And Building Effective Teams
- Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline