Director of Construction
Columbia, TN 38401
The Director of Concrete Operations position oversees management of all concrete division activities to produce results in the most cost effective manner within industry approved quality standards.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Manages project managers of concrete divisions to ensure that production of business partners' product is produced in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Ensures standards for product quality, equipment, and operator performance are maintained and that cost-effective technology is used to maximize production.
- Ensures fixed assets are preserved. Initiates recommendations on purchases of new equipment.
- Develops, monitors, and reports on operating costs within functional areas. Alerts management of cost and labor over run. Makes recommendations and implements solutions to problems related to same.
- Ensures concrete projects are completed according to specifications and quality standards are met.
- Advises project managers on labor issues including safety, security, employee relations, scheduling, training, grievances, etc. Ensures project managers and superintendents are adhering to company policy and administering practices in fair and equitable manner.
- Manages budget and controls expenses effectively.
- Creates cost benefit analysis, project and division forecasts, prepare and review project budgets while holding project managers accountable.
- Manages resources effectively, both internal and external, to accomplish division goals and objectives for growth within the concrete division. Review resource options with Vice President to determine appropriate course of action to meet the resource needs.
- Manages proposal development and submission. Reports results to senior management. Negotiates with clients/customers to close contracts based upon limits of authority.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Business Acumen.
- Change Agent.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
Directly supervises employees of their department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This job operates mostly in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This position occasionally spends time on project work sites in differing conditions to include inclement weather, slopes, grade changes, open ditches and construction materials.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands/fingers to touch, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift or move 50 pounds.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, and regular hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8: 00 a.M. To 5 p.M.; however, this position can regularly require long hours and frequent weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’ s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related field preferred
- 10 years’ experience in the Concrete Construction field
- 5 years project/program management experience preferred
Job Type: Full-time